Projects
Top Ten Questions
Build-up Documentation
Approximate Build Costs
Project/Travel Pics
My Dream Garage
Orange Jeep Club
Helpful Hints
Jeep Differences
Miscellaneous Jeep Stuff
4x4 Information
Magazine Submission
Forums / History
Favorite Links
Readers Rides
Apparel / Jeep Art
Items For Sale
Accolades / Thank you!
Contact Us!
 
Make a Donation
FREE T-Shirt
 
 
 
 
 
On-line Shops
 
instant message
Project "Tabs Jeep" a.k.a Project "TJScrambler" - part #8
 
 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18
 
(03/23/2012) I finally got a few minutes to write up some stuff. I took a few hours on Wednesday and was able to separate the body from the frame so we can get to work disassembling the frame this weekend. I am trying to get the body off, so I can get the drivetrain out, and start to free up some room in the garage, this was an unexpected present to myself, but I don't have a ton of room at the moment, nor time.

The frame has been promised to someone already, but if that person doesn't want it, I will probably put a rear crossmember on it, fix the body mounts, clean it up, paint it again and then sell it as is, or as a rolling chassis... not sure yet, a lot of balls are in the air on this one.
 
 
I was able to get most of the stuff out of the Jeep, minus the roll bar, that is going to take some work as the bolts are pretty crispy and stuck in place on it. I got to see more of the underside, and it looks good, just a few more spots that need attention. Basically, with the money recouped on the frame and drivetrain, that will offset enough of the body to make it worthwhile to get the replacement panels.
 
 
I got the new hubs mounted as well, they are nice original old school units. The body was mounted up as well and it is sitting on wood boards now. The custome frame presented some issues where I will have to trim some things up here and there and there are a lot of bolts hanging down from the body where the PO just cut them, so I have to flip it over and remove that, and also the engine is sloped way too far down angle wise, it is hitting the firewall, so I have to remove the transfer case lower kit and then run a CV unit to compensate for the angle with some larger shims in the rear, but all in all, this is progress, and progress is good.

cb (03/23/2012)
 
 
(04/12/2012) I received a phone call about 10 days ago that set off the last week plus in motion. My grandfather was ill, he wasn't going to the hospital, and it was time for me to come down to say my peace and say goodbye. It was a series of 3 trips back and forth over the last 11 days that saw him alive and struggling to find the words, to finally laying next to Nana where they have been apart for the last 30 years.

It was a tough last couple of days, but he is finally at rest brought there by his entire family. He was truly a bit inspiration for all of the things I have done in life. My work ethic, attitude, drive, and ambition I can all connect back to him... also my love of the Yankees. I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face as I write this, remembering all the good times that I have with him over the last 37 years of my life. He was a true gentleman, a wonderful grandfather to me and all my cousins, and a "great" great grandfather to my children and all of his other 20 great grand children. My children were very blessed to have him in their lives, even if it was only for a couple years. RIP Poppa. We all love you and miss you.
 
 
In preparation of going down to CT, I had a few hours where no one was around and I had done all the chores, so I went to work on the frame. It is completely stripped now, and will be going to a new home. It might have been one of the easier frames to strip coming from New England. I broke only ONE bolt, and I found 2 others that had been snapped off. I was able to remove the one broken bolt for the bump stop, but the 2 shackle bolts were really seized up, and when I heated and tried to get it out, the welded retaining nuts on the inside of the frame rails gave way. So, all that we need to do is put 2 nuts in there and weld em in place, truly not a big deal compared to other frames I have had to fix.

The plan now is to take the parts that I have (all but a body essentially) and put it all together and one big project for someone else to pick up and run with. I have all the parts and pieces to finish my daughters now and will need help financing the rest of it with the sale of the other project.

cb (04/12/2012)
 
<< Previous Next >>

FAQ | Contact Us | Privacy Policy
Copyright 2016 www.certifiablejeep.com

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Daimler-Chrysler Corporation (or whatever they are called today).
certifiablejeep.com is not in any way associated with the Daimler-Chrysler Corp or Jeep parent Company.