Projects
Top Ten Questions
Build-up Documentation
Approximate Build Costs
Project/Travel Pics
My Dream Garage
Orange Jeep Club
Helpful Hints
Jeep Differences
Miscellaneous Jeep Stuff
4x4 Information
Magazine Submission
Forums / History
Favorite Links
Readers Rides
Apparel / Jeep Art
Items For Sale
Accolades / Thank you!
Contact Us!
 
Make a Donation
FREE T-Shirt
 
 
 
 
 
On-line Shops
 
instant message
Project "Free Jeep" a.k.a Project "FJ" - part #18
 
 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  73
 
(08/23/07) It has been only a month or so since I have updated the FJ section. It has been a crazy time over the past few weeks. I had to finish up the deck, wedding planning took over and finally a lot of traveling. So, I had a few hours, so I picked up where I left off and really got something accomplished that is tangible.
 
 
Since I got the dashes, I havenít seen a whole lot of deals out there. I was able to pick up a set of Laredo rims, which is cool, but other then that, not a lot of activity in the summer months. Usually this happens more in the winter months.
 
 
So, I got back on the front axle. I took apart the axles themselves and remove the u-joints, cleaned up the housing, degreased it, painted it up with a couple coats of zero rust paint. I torqued down the main caps to 50 ft/lbs. and then the housing itself to 20 ft/lbs. after installing the gasket and some blue rtv.
 
 
I installed the u-joints after a trip in the blast cabinet, some cleaning and some new paint. I also had picked up some new end caps for the main axle pieces, so that was done as well. I put them all back together, and now I am waiting for the paint to dry on the front axle housing. I should be able to start putting that back together tonight.

How did that Bud Light get in there?
 
 
I got all the torx bolts out of the rear housing as well. I got the cover off and the diff fluid just flowed out. Looked a little dirty, but not as bad as mine was when I did the Orange Jeep. Other then that not a whole lot going on. I need to pick up some brake cleaner to help clean out the oil in the housing, but that isnít a big deal.

Nice use of the Frame to hold the painted inner axles before the new u-joints got installed...
 
 
I hope to clean up the rear axle and get the brakes off so I can get the 1-piece axles installed sooner then later. With the axles ready to go, next is the frame.

cb (08/23/07)
 
<< Previous Next >>

FAQ | Contact Us | Privacy Policy
Copyright 2016 www.certifiablejeep.com

Jeepģ, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Daimler-Chrysler Corporation (or whatever they are called today).
certifiablejeep.com is not in any way associated with the Daimler-Chrysler Corp or Jeep parent Company.