Projects
Top Ten Questions
Build-up Documentation
Approximate Build Costs
Project/Travel Pics
My Dream Garage
Orange Jeep Club
Helpful Hints
Jeep Differences
Miscellaneous Jeep Stuff
4x4 Information
Magazine Submission
Forums / History
Favorite Links
Readers Rides
Apparel / Jeep Art
Items For Sale
Accolades / Thank you!
Contact Us!
 
Make a Donation
FREE T-Shirt
 
 
 
 
 
On-line Shops
 
instant message
Project "Free Jeep" a.k.a Project "FJ" - part #38
 
 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  73
 
(01/07/08) The day went pretty well in regards to the engine being stripped down. I was able to get a few things done to it. I took off the oil pickup and oil pump, came out without any major issues.
 
 
After that, the timing chain came off as well as the camshaft came out. I couldn't get the sprocket off the camshaft, so I am not sure if it is stuck or if it just "comes that way"? but once again I will ask the handy dandy forum people.
 
 
The pistons, lifters, and crank came out and then I put back on the main caps in the correct order. Basically I kept everything in the order it needs to be in until I get the block inspected to see what, if anything, I am going to reuse. I doubt I will use anything, but it is good to mark it all and keep it all in order.
 
 
I finished up the day by trying to remove the valves. As you can see, I didn't get very far... actually about 1/2 way. This was because the compressor I am using isn't the greatest and the other half of the puzzle is that some of the valves are really quite stuck in there. I am glad I didn't try to use the motor, "as is" or it wouldn't have gotten too far.

cb (01/07/08)
 
 
(01/11/08) I haven't been able to get out to the garage for a couple days. I had some things to take care of and was traveling, so I got home and was able to get the skid plate on and take the body off so I could work on the rear body mounts and the removal of the underside YJ components.
 
 
I was trying to remove the rear body mount by drilling it out since the previous owner snapped off both rear bolts. I pressed too hard while drilling and it ended up falling inside the hole. I will end up cutting it out and welding it back together. Kind of sucks, but sometimes these things happen.

Also, I dropped the motor off at the engine/machine shop today, so I should have word back on that in a week or so for what condition it is all in. I am looking forward to seeing that is up.

cb (01/11/08)
 
 
(01/12/08) I only had 1 hour last night to try to get something done and that isn't a whole lot of time, so basically I got one broken bolt out of one body mount... ta-da! Not a whole lot to report, but basically since I couldn't get the bolt out by drilling it, I had to cut an access panel to get it out. Once out, drilling and easy outs got the thing loose... oh yeah, a lot of PB blaster and a ton of heat helped as well.

cb (01/12/08)
 
<< Previous Next >>

FAQ | Contact Us | Privacy Policy
Copyright 2016 www.certifiablejeep.com

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked
to Daimler-Chrysler Corporation (or whatever they are called today).
certifiablejeep.com is not in any way associated with the Daimler-Chrysler Corp or Jeep parent Company.